Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Budgeting

Yesterday I looked at my bank account and gave a little sigh of relief that I could make rent this month with a bit over $100 to spare. Yes, this "phew" was accompanies with a melodramatic wiping of my brow for theatrical effect. It dawned on me that I should not be relieved about making rent with having enough leftover for food, I should expect it of myself and not screw myself over the next time I have to pay bills that I know are coming.

This lead to me making a promise, a resolution, whatever you want to call it, that I would only buy food until my next paycheck on the 5th. My goal is to use up the spare cash around my room and let my checking account accrue a little interest (hurray for credit unions).

Sounds easy, right?

WRONG! Oh, I was so very wrong. Today I have been tempted by so many items that I can't even count. There were adorable necklaces and cute shirts and a great coat that is a gorgeous red velvet with flattering seams. It was intolerable.

I think I'm addicted. I really felt like an alcoholic working at a bar. My coworkers are my enablers and I can justify away all sorts of things and I can't stop.

To my shame, I put a few things on hold. To my joy, I left and went home without purchasing them. It was difficult, but I bought a cute pair of sunglasses by Armani Exchange for $24 and a warm hat with adorable intarsia knitting for $16 just a few days ago and the other week I got a supple olive green leather purse with a ton of pockets for $60, even though it was originally $250. The memory of these recent purchases will have to help me ride out the time until pay day.

Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment